Steps on the Journey

Friday, June 22, 2007

Welcome to the Bigs!

The other morning I was laying in bed unable to reach my phone when it was ringing. I rolled back over and went back to sleep. This was at 9:30am. I got up about an hour and a half later and checked the message. Who was it from? It was my brother. He was calling me at 9:30 in the morning? You must understand that I never have known him to be up before 10 or 11 unless it involved school, so I figured this must be important.

The message went a little something like this (with my thought commentary in the parentheses):
I was watching Sportscenter this morning and the Angels/Astros highlights came on(why do I care about that game?) and the announcer is talking about Terry Evans (wait, who?) hitting a homerun for his first major league hit in his second at-bat (*confusion* wait, did he just say ... no ...that can't be right). You can try and catch it on Sportscenter or the video is on the Angels website (what just happened here? I need to go to the Angels website ... like now!). Thought you would want to know. Talk to you later. Bye.

You see this first major league hit for a homerun is particularly more important to me than any other homerun ever hit by a major league player. Terry Evans and I grew up together in the same town and played Little League together up through middle school. He was one of my best friends growing up who I kind of lost touch with when he transferred to a different high school. I did have the pleasure of seeing him again while I worked at the newspaper in Dublin and got to write a story on him while he was playing JUCO ball in Georgia. I see his parents still on rare occasions when I am at home (his dad coached me more than any other baseball coach growing up). I continued to follow him as he went to play in the minors and worked his way up.

I had no idea he had been called up. It was a complete surprise. I clicked on the LA Angels site and there it was. Terry Evans going yard off Astros starter Wandy Rodriguez in the bottom of the second in Los Angeles. I say, good for him. I am excited. Most others reading this might not be, but this for me is watching someone's childroom dream come true and it is fun.

To read more about it, go to: http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/

1 Comments:

  • That is so sweet! I love this story. :) My little bro has played baseball for about 15 years, and I have seen all his friends grow up and play together, so it's great to hear you're sharing in the joy of your old friend's success. Baseball, even though men play it professionally, is so cute because I see them as little guys out there having fun but taking the game so seriosly.

    By Blogger Anna, At 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home