Steps on the Journey

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Living in a "Fantasyland"


As I promised in my last post, I am posting a little tiny review of the book Fantasyland by Sam Walker. I didn't think it would show up this quick, but here it is anyway.

I am going to start off by saying that I loved this book. It is a real story, so when you read you have to remember that it actually happened. It is all about a sportswriter (the author Sam Walker) and how he finally decided to try fantasy baseball after loathing it for many years. Walker covers sports for the Wall Street Journal. He decides to try and enter fantasy baseball at its highest level applying for entrance into the famed Tout Wars league. Walker is granted entry into the AL only league to play against some of the legends of fantasy baseball.

Walker immediately becomes engrossed in the game and obessed with his team. Did I mention the draft hasn't even come around yet? He makes trips to Arizona and Florida to scout and talk to players in Spring Training. Then, he proceeds to travel the country to watch his players play all the while passing out team t-shirts to players on his roster and even asking one player if he thinks he should trade him for somebody else. As you can see, the exploits of the author alone are a good enough reason to read this book. There is so much more that I will leave to you to read.

If you are not a baseball fan, I might stay away from this book. I would whole-heartedly recommend though anyway. Next up on the summer reading list is October 1964 by David Halbersham. It should be sitting in my box right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home