Steps on the Journey

Friday, April 20, 2007

Baseball Season

As many people who know me know, I am huge baseball fan. The start of the MLB season is one of my favorite times of year. I even like to try and declare Opening Day a holiday in my life (that never works by the way). For me, there are three great things about baseball season:
1) Watching the Braves play
2) Going to a game
3) Fantasy Baseball

When it comes to the first thing, the Braves are off to a nice start this season after a dismal April last season. The starting pitching has been pretty good outside of Mark Redman (but even he made a good start last night). The bullpen has been better and the offense has been...well...ok. The Braves are 10-5 currently and only a half game behind the Mets in the NL East. We are in good postition.

I have had a chance to attend one game so far this season in person. While Raegan and I were in Texas we had the chance to go into Houston (30 min drive from her house) to see the Astros take on the defending World Champion Cardinals. The Astros won their first game of the season that night behind a complete game from Roy Oswalt and homers from Lance Berkman and Carlos Lee. Needless to say, the Astros star power performed well that night. It was also a lot of fun to watch Oswalt face Albert Pujols four times. Talk about a great pitcher and great hitter facing one another. Oswalt got the best of him that night. I had also never been to Minute Maid Park before so it was a lot of fun to be able to share the experience with my fiance.

Finally, I have two Fantasy Baseball Leagues of importance this season. The first is my traditional PPUMCFBL (Pittman Park UMC Fantasy Baseball League) named for the church I went to in college that contains many current and past members of the congregation. I am currently in seventh place out of eight (head-to-head league) right now due to lackluster starts by Andruw Jones and Chase Utley. That team is good though so it will turn around. The other league is the Grice 3rd floor league which includes 6 people off our floor and Raegan. Now after the draft, I said I thought Raegan had the best team (it was an auto-draft by the way). Now early in the season, her team is proving me right. In this Rotisserie style league, she is currently 17 points ahead of the second place team and 36 points ahead of me because of some sucky offense by my team early on. Raegan is winning 7 categories right now while sitting in second in 7 others out of 21 total categories. See why she is winning now?

That is all for now. Be back soon hopefully.

John

1 Comments:

  • john, drafted utley also. i'm glad he's starting to play like he should... (also have a-rod, can't complain there...) I love me some baseball.

    By Blogger Dan Underwood, At 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home