Steps on the Journey

Friday, October 20, 2006

I Am .... The 12th Man

Well, I wasn't...exactly the 12th man. Maybe, I was more like a part of a very large 12th man, but nonetheless I was still a part. I have been promising an update of my trip to College Station for the Texas A&M/Missouri, so here it is.

We caught a slight break that this game was at 2:30pm instead of the 11:00am start it could have been. So, Raegan, her mom, sister, and I set off from The Woodlands Saturday morning around 10:45 for the trip to College Station (picture of Raegan and I at the game on the side, check out the huge video board behind us). When we arrived, we stopped for a little Texas style barbecue on the edge of town and then headed to park. It is now the experience starts. It is all me and my thoughts from here on out.

I will have to admit that this was the most unique gameday experience I have ever been a part of in my life. I have watched sporting events at numerous places and seen numerous things, but this was the most unique. We will break the experience down one thing at a time (I will leave some things out probably, but it is due to length concerns).

1.) At A&M, they don't have cheerleaders. They have yell leaders. These several people lead the student section and entire stadium in cheers for the Aggies. Oh and trust me, it is slightly more complicated than the D-Fense cheers in a normal stadium. They are specific and well known among all Aggies.

2.) You have the story of the 12th Man. E. King Gill was called from the stands to suit up for an undermanned Aggie team in 1922 against top-ranked Centre College. A&M won the game 22-14, and Gill was the only man still standing on the sideline when the game ended. Inspired by Gill's readiness, students stand the entire game and "yell" and support their team. You really have to see the wall of standing maroon on the student side to understand the support they give.

3.)The coolest team entry I have ever seen probably occurred at this game. You almost have to see it to believe it. The team comes through a courtyard led by a group of drummers in their military uniforms. Talk about the hair standing up on your arms (if you are like me and have any hair there), that did it for me. It was super cool.

4.) The game itself was a pretty standard game. The stadium would get super quiet when the offense had the ball and so loud you couldn't hear yourself think when the defense was on the field (you think I am kidding? I was trying to figure out what down it was at one point and couldn't it was so loud).

5.)There are many traditions woven in throughout the game. My favorite of these was probably what they call "sawing" at A&M. You figure out what we are sawing. It isn't too difficult. This maneuver involves crossing arms behind the back of the person next to you as well as crossing feet with the person next to you and swaying side to side. It really gives you the illusion that the stadium is moving. Pretty cool if you ask me.

So, that is a cliff notes version of my trip to Aggieland and Kyle Field on the campus of Texas A&M. It was a great day and fantastic experience. I loved the atmosphere. I am hoping to catch another game there in the future. It was definitely worth the trip.

Oh and by the way, the Aggies defeated #19 Missouri 24-19 and are currently ranked #23 in the nation. Gig'em Aggies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home