Steps on the Journey

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A Fantasy Bond

You know, I was looking at my first couple of posts the other day and realized I wasn't really being very random as my blog's name implies so I bring a little something different today. The impact of a simple fantasy baseball and football league on a group of sports fans in a church in south Georgia.

This whole thing came out of a crazy idea I had when I was in college to start a fantasy football league with some of the people in the church I was going to at the time. I was volunteering on a weekly basis with the youth group and so it seemed appropriate to mix young and old in the league. With this crazy idea in mind, Pittman Park United Methodist Church Fantasy Enterprises was born. That original football league, the PPUMCFFL (yes we have an acronym for our league) included our head pastor (Mike), the orientation coordinator at Georgia Southern (David), a newspaper writer friend who I met at GSU (Luke), myself, and six members of the youth group at the church. All of us had one thing in common at the time, we went to the same church.

Now, we are spread out a little more. I am in Kentucky, David is in Indiana, most of the youth group members are gone to college (a few at GSU, but also Georgia, Georgia Tech, and College of Charleston), Mike is still the pastor, and Luke is writing sports for the paper in Statesboro, where GSU is located.

Yet, we still return to the league each season to renew our rivalry with one another. When we started, we saw each other every Sunday at church. Now, we rarely ever see one another. We started with everybody in one room drafting together. We all probably haven't been in the same place since. But, we still play!

We fellowship together over the message board. We joke around. We compete. We agonize over who to pick during the draft, and we find ourselves rooting for teams simply because we need our players from that team to perform to bring us victory in the fantasy arena.

This goes out to all the fantasy gamers out there. We understand you. Also, I would be remissed though if I didn't send this out to all the members of the PPUMC Fantasy Football and Baseball Leagues. Thanks for playing fellas. From your fellow fantasy league member, The Commish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home