Steps on the Journey

Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday

Today is a day that haunts me. The events of this day nearly two thousand years ago linger in my mind. No matter how much I try to get them out, the thoughts keep coming. I am lost and confused. I rarely remember a day where I had no idea what to do. That is the case for me today. I feel like I can imagine the disciples did on this day.

My heart is heavy. My soul weeps. I am sad. Today is the day an innocent man was condemned. He did nothing wrong, but yet he was sentenced to die. He was beaten, spit on, and publically humiliated for what? Speaking the Word of God? Healing the sick? Forgiving those in need of forgiveness?

Yet, the man who was innocent bore the pain of beatings, public humiliation, and death on a cross, so he could, with the giving up of his life, take the sins of all people and wash them away. The innocent man paid the debt of all the guilty, so that they might be forgiven before God and know the TRUE Life and ETERNAL Life that comes only through the forgiveness of Jesus Christ, the Son of God and an innocent man who was willing to pay it all so we could truly live.

The free gift of Jesus Christ on this day nearly two thousand years ago of forgiveness to all people who believe in Him parallels to no other gift ever given in time. I think an old hymn sums it up best on this day.

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of Glory died;
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
save in the death of Christ, my God;
all the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far too small;
love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home